I love coffee but every time I order an iced coffee I’m always disappointed at how bland, bitter, and watered down it tastes. Iced coffee is usually prepared by pouring hot drip coffee over ice which instantly melts the ice and makes the coffee weaker in taste…not a good thing in my book!
Then I discovered this wonderful concoction know as cold brew coffee and I instantly fell in love! Cold brew coffee is prepared exactly how it sounds and brewed using only cold water. This process reduces the amount of bitter flavor and increases the natural sweetness of the coffee bean.
Forget buying expensive cups of cold brew coffee at your local café, instead make your own easily at home! I use this glass pitcher with lid to make the job so much easier. The only caveat is that the process of cold brewing takes several hours, if not a whole day to properly make but if you have the patience for it, I guarantee it will pay off!
Here is a quick and easy recipe to make your own delicious cold brew coffee at home.
- 1 cup coarsely ground organic coffee
- 4 cups cold filtered water
- Glass pitcher or bowl
- Fine mesh strainer
- Coffee filter
- Place the coarsely ground coffee and water in a pitcher or bowl and stir to combine.
- Cover and put the bowl/pitcher in the fridge.
- Let sit for 18 to 24 hours.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter.
- This will produce a strong coffee concentrate. Dilute with water or milk to achieve your desired taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks (if it lasts that long!).
If you love coffee as much as I do, check out how to make a great cup of coffee at home!
Have you ever made cold brew at home? What is your favorite recipe?