My skin tends to be on the dry side due to my psoriasis, so once in a while I need to exfoliate and remove any dead skin or dry patches to smooth my face. I used to buy fancy face scrubs at the department store, but my wallet was not happy about it. Those things can be really expensive!
Since I have been using my homemade sugar scrub for my body, I decided to experiment on making one for my face that would be gentle enough to use on sensitive skin, but effective enough to exfoliate and smooth…not to mention inexpensive!
After trying a few different recipes, I came up with one that is soothing to the skin, and very effective at scrubbing away any dry patches on the face. It also leaves it really well moisturized afterward, so there’s no need for any additional products.
This recipe is so simple that it’s only two ingredients, but both of them are super beneficial for skin.
- Raw Honey – Honey is a natural anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, wonderfully soothing superfood that has amazing benefits for your skin. It’s full of anti-oxidants which help fight aging, and is great for acne and blemishes.
- Sugar – Sugar cane has naturally occurring glycolic acid, which is an alpha hydroxy acid used to help exfoliate the skin. Sugar scrubs are a great way to cleanse and smooth the skin, leaving it renewed and refreshed.
Natural Sugar & Honey Exfoliating Mask Recipe
This recipe is easy enough to whip up quickly when you need to use it, but I also like to make some ahead of time and store in a small tin to use 1-2 times a week.
What You’ll Need
- 1 teaspoon Raw Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon White, Raw, or Brown Sugar
- Essential Oils of choice – (optional)
- Small bowl or cosmetic tin
What To Do
- Mix the honey and sugar in a small bowl, storage tin, or palm of your hand.
- Apply to the face in gentle, circular motions, exfoliating any dry patches on the skin.
- Leave mask on for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water, or use a dampened washcloth with hot water and apply to your face. This will help open up the pores, and leave your skin very soft.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel.
Your skin should feel smooth, soft, and amazing! Use this mask as needed, or at least once a week to get rid of dead skin. You may find that the mixture will crumble a bit when applying to your face, so I recommend doing this over the bathroom sink just in case.
Do you exfoliate your face at home? What natural products do you use?