Oh the wonderful winter months! I do love my seasons, but unfortunately this year I got hit hard with a cold, and it’s been quite a long time since I’ve been sick, so it was not a pleasant experience. One of the symptoms of being sick that I absolutely dread is a sore throat, and this illness definitely didn’t cut me some slack in that regard.
For several days I found myself waking up early in the morning with a horrible sore throat and cough, and even though I was drinking plenty of fluids, the pain just wouldn’t let up. So I did a bit of research on some natural alternatives to those over-the-counter cough syrups, you know, the ones that smell like alcohol and taste like chemicals…yeah, those.
Surprisingly I found out that all I needed to make a really simple, yet effective, soothing cough syrup was just a few ingredients I already had in my kitchen. The three simple ingredients are onion, honey, and ginger. That’s it! I know, it does sound weird to use onion for a soothing cough syrup, but onions have natural chemical compounds like flavonoids, quercetin, and phenolics, which are known to have tremendous anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and antioxidant properties.
Fresh ginger contains the active ingredient ‘gingerol’, which is also known for its amazing anti-inflammatory abilities. Honey, especially raw unfiltered honey, contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties as well. Honey is also a natural humectant making it a perfect ingredient to treat and soothe a sore throat and cough.
Soothing Natural Cough Syrup Recipe
The trick to making this syrup so effective is to let the ingredients marinate together for several hours, or even overnight. What this does is allow the onion and ginger to release all the powerful active ingredients into the honey, making the perfect natural cough syrup. Luckily, because of the honey, this recipe stores well and can be made ahead of time in preparation of those sick days.
Here’s how to make this super simple recipe!
What You’ll Need
- 4 tablespoon Manuka Honey (or any quality raw unfiltered honey will do)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated (powdered or ground ginger won’t work for this)
What To Do
- Pour the honey into a small mixing bowl and add the chopped onion and fresh grated ginger. Mix until well combined.
- Let the mixture sit for a minimum of 6-8 hours, but overnight is best.
- Filter the mixture through a mesh strainer so that all you have left is honey.
- Swallow 1 teaspoon of honey every couple of hours, or until symptoms are relieved.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. This mixture should last several months on the shelf.
That’s it! Simple, right? 🙂
Do you have any natural methods or recipes for treating a sore throat or cough? Share below!