I love clean hands and have become obsessed with keeping mine in tip-top shape, especially after a day of running errands. There’s something about the fresh and clean feel of just-washed hands that makes me so happy, so it’s no wonder that I usually keep a bottle of sanitizer in my car or purse for just that reason.
That is until I realized how drying those conventional hand sanitizers really are. I remember being on a trip to Las Vegas and constantly using my travel bottle of hand sanitizer to avoid any “germs” that might be on the slot machines. I ended up using so much sanitizer that my hands became extremely dry and rough to the point where I needed an extra strength moisturizer just to bring them back to life.
I decided that there had to be an alternative to the harsh alcohol listed as the main ingredient in most conventional sanitizers, so I did a little sleuthing and came across a really great natural sanitizer hand gel that really works! It uses all natural ingredients and essential oils to provide a refreshing and non-drying cleanse.
All Natural Hand Sanitizer
This is a super simple, easy to make recipe for a natural hand sanitizer that uses nothing more than essential oils and aloe vera gel. Now, it may not be as sanitizing as conventional products on the market, but it will still give you great anti-bacterial properties without the dryness.
Here are the essential oils I use:
- Lavender – Anti-bacterial, anti-viral & soothing for the skin.
- Cinnamon – Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-microbal & a natural astringent.
- Orange – A natural anti-oxidant and anti-septic.
- Clove – Anti-bacterial and anti-microbal.
- Rosemary – Anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
Combined with an organic aloe vera gel, this sanitizer will nourish your skin while is helps cleanse away any germs.
What You’ll Need
- 1/4 cup organic aloe vera gel
- 15 drops orange oil
- 8 drops cinnamon oil
- 8 drops lavender oil
- 5 drops rosemary oil
- 5 drops clove oil
What To Do
- Mix together all the ingredients into a reusable BPA-free travel tube, like this one.
- Use a small amount to naturally cleanse germs from hands.
Extra Strength Hand Sanitizer
If you prefer a slightly stronger sanitizer, this is a great natural alternative to conventional store-bought sanitizers.
- 1/2 tbsp 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
- 1/2 tbsp Witch Hazel
- 1/4 cup Organic Aloe Vera Gel
- 1/2 tsp Vegetable Glycerine
- 10 drops Tea Tree Oil
- 10 drops Cinnamon Oil
- Distilled Water
- Mix together the aloe vera gel, glycerine, rubbing alcohol, and witch hazel in a small bowl.
- Add 10 drops each of cinnamon and tea tree oil, along with any additional oils you might like for fragrance, and mix well.
- Add in distilled water to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour mixture into any spray, pump style bottle, or squeeze bottle.
- Use as needed!
Things To Note
Always do a skin test with any essential oils before using them as everyone reacts differently.
Don’t Want To Make Your Own?
Here are the top 3 natural hand sanitizers you can buy:
- Cleanwell All-natural Foaming Hand Sanitizer
- EO Botanical Hand Sanitizer Gel, Lavender
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps Lavender Hand Sanitizer
Have you ever made your own hand sanitizer? How did it come out? Share below!